Cheap Gift Ideas: Christmas Chocolate Shortbread






There are (unfortunately) always those moments in life with Christmas approaching and the prospect of having to give people christmas presents looming when your bank balance isn't quite in the best state... And there are also those awkward moments when you're given gifts but aren't necessarily in the financial place to return the gesture.

But I have the solution!

There were so many people that I wanted to give presents to this year that it simply wasn't feasible so I decided to go down a more crafty route - baking and packaging the baked goods. Erring away from your more traditional christmas cookies, (one of my closest friends hates cinnamon), I chose to go with Nigella's chocolate shortbread recipe with a chocolate glaze which came out quite nicely...

Here's how I did it (recipe makes approx 24):

For the biscuits
250 grams soft butter
150 grams caster sugar
40 grams cocoa powder
300 grams plain flour
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon baking powder

For the festive topping
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
175 grams icing sugar
60 ml boiling water (from a kettle)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
christmas sprinkles (I bought mine from Aldi)


  1. Preheat the oven to 170 degrees C/ gas mark 3/ 325 degrees farenheit.
  2. Cream the butter and sugar and then add the cocoa powder. When mixed well, add the flour, baking powder and bicarb of soda.
  3. Bake each batch for 15 minutes. They come out quite soft but cook more as they cool. (Trust me, my first batch were overcooked!)
  4. For the glaze: Put all the ingredients into a saucepan and whisk for ten minutes on a low heat. Let it cool before you ice the biscuits. The glaze seems incredibly liquidy but it dries hard on the biscuits so don't add any more icing sugar!
  5. When icing the biscuits, make sure the cooling rack is on top of some newspaper as the icing does go everywhere! 
  6. Sprinkle some of the festive sprinkles whilst the icing is still wet as it dries quite fast.
  7. Let the icing cool for about 10 minutes and you're good to go!
Then what I did is package up the cookies in little cellophane bags (you can get these everywhere - try ebay or your local craft store), tie a bit of twine round them and attach a cute little gift tag for a lovely festive gift.

If you couldn't get your hands on any christmas themed sprinkles, try getting cellophane bags with festive prints on them (you can get snowmen, snowflakes and loads of other designs), but they're such a cute gift to give and because they're homemade, people don't tend to focus in on the fact that they haven't been bought a gift!

These are perfect for friends - especially if you have over five people you want to give presents too! I had twelve, hence why I opted to make something rather than buy!

The cookies are delicious and they look so pretty!

Would you ever try a homemade gift for christmas?



Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

13 comments:

  1. I absolutely agree that baking something of just making something yourself is the best gift!!I am planning to make cookies for my collegues at work next weekend for the same reason! these cookies look so yummy!!
    xo
    Alice|Alice's Beauty Madness

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of home baked goodies being used as gifts... these are truly gifts with love

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love short bread and chocolate am defo going to try your recipe x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think baking is always a good idea! I would love to receive a batch of these under my tree for Christmas - I have a huge sweet tooth and these would go down a treat :D they look super yummy and I might have to give the recipe a try myself!

    Sophia Meola | A Fashion, Beauty & Lifestyle Blog

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is no such thing as cheap gift... the value is in the thought!! Judging by the amount of efforts and time that goes into making these little tasty treats, the value here is actually immeasurable by money. ;)

    Oliver x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm these look lovely! I always bake christmas cookies for my grandparents :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look so yummy and would make a wonderful gift! <3

    Laura
    Pink Frenzy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my word, these look gorgeous! And definitely much better than simply buying them from a shop as a gift, much more personal touch when you've put effort into making them :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look great lovely idea :)

    Sophie
    Xx
    www.pocockins.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love the idea of home made things ... am surely gonna try these cookies ....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh I've never tried chocolate shortbread before, what a tasty idea!

    Frankie x
    Crazyblondegal

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh these look and sound absolutely amazing. I love baking but have to be in the mood and have a very very clean kitchen to start with x

    ReplyDelete