The Gluten Free Bake: Buttermilk Buckwheat Pancakes




Over the past couple of months, I've been trying to cut back on gluten (and lactose) in my diet and have been playing around with an assortment of different flours such as buckwheat! Contrary to the name, buckwheat flour is completely gluten free and has such a similar texture to standard wheat flour that it is fairly interchangeable. Now, whilst this recipe is not lactose free, I have included a substitution for almond milk if thats more your thing.

This recipe came about because it was a Saturday morning and I wanted pancakes. There is nothing more that I love than pancakes and I was going to make the standard version but the only flour I had was buckwheat flour, hence the recipe.

A word of warning, these are monster pancakes and are incredibly filling - I could barely manage one and a half so I would definitely not go overboard!

The Recipe (Makes about 5 pancakes):
  • 1tbsp butter
  • 2tbsp maplesyrup
  • 1 cup buckwheat flour (finely milled)
  • 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4tsp baking soda
  • 1/4tsp salt
  • 1 cup buttermilk (If you're lactose free, 3/4cup of almond milk) 
First, pop the butter and maple syrup into a pyrex jug and then microwave them for about 20 seconds and then mix them together. 

Then mix the dry ingredients together, then add the egg and buttermilk. Mix it together and voila, your pancake mix! I didn't use a whisk, I simply used a fork and although the mixture is quite thick, it was still fine.

I ate them with maple syrup and raspberries and they were absolutely delicious! Like I said, I only managed one and a half pancake so feel free to split the mix if it's just for one person.

Let me know what you think. 



12 comments:

  1. I've never used buckwheat flour before but it sounds like a good alternative to normal flour. The pancakes look amazing as well, I'll have to give this recipe a go!

    The Velvet Black // UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. buckwheat is great to use! try and get the finely milled version so avoid the pancakes coming out like bread! x

      Delete
  2. Never heard of buckwheat flower before, but keen to try it after seeing how great your pancakes turned out! xx

    Details of Dress

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say I'm not understanding the recent fuss with going gluten-free... it's NOT any better or healthier than non-gluten food. Gluten is in no way harmful to our health. :/ The same goes with fat-free, which in fact is actually worse than the full fat version as manufacturers put in other chemicals and rubbish to substitute for the fat that's actually an essential nutrition we need. I always tell people to do their research before blindly following these food trends and just, eat well. :)

    Oliver x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually gluten intolerant so I feel really bloated after I eat it, hence the buckwheat! but gluten free is proven to be healthier and your body feels better after it. x

      Delete
  4. These look and sound absolutely delicious x

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look so yummy! I haven't had pancakes the longest time! xx

    Laura
    Pink Frenzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. make them ahah! i don't have them that much though x

      Delete
  6. Oooh these look great, I love pancakes though I've never tried buckwheat ones!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your photography and your pancakes look delicious xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look amazing! I'll definitely be trying them! xx

    ReplyDelete